Now, don’t get confused with the term funk in connection to music…this funk has to do with our mood, feelings of discouragement, disappointment, defeat, and disconnect. Every person goes through periods of funk regardless of our status in life. CEO of a firm, janitor in the firm, employed, unemployed, rich, poor, happy and unhappy experiences periods of funk. And, aside from being able to relate on that level, the other thing we can relate on is this…we don’t enjoy being in a funk, and want out as soon as we’re aware of it.
What are some signs to indicate you’re in a funk? Here are mine !
- Your energy is low and it affects your mood – (I’d say this is the #1 indicator)
- Your mind isn’t as sharp as it usually is, and impacts your inability to concentrate and be creative
- You’ve lost focus on your passion and purpose
- Things in certain areas aren’t working as they should
When I notice any of those symptoms I practice some or all of these steps to get funk free.
- Ask myself “what happened to get me here?” – After discovering the cause (if it doesn’t come within a day, I don’t spend any more energy on trying to figure out why. I turn my attention to the solution)
- Re-evaluate areas of my life that isn’t fulfilling – there I uncover what specifically I am disappointed or discouraged about.
- Write it down – emptying what’s going on in the mind brings new perspective and resolution
- Change – it’s time to up my game, change my approach, attitude, actions, company….whatever it contributing to the lack of progress.
- Exercise – a walk in nature helps to clear my mind
- Nutrition – too much process foods can definitely contribute to my funk
- Meditate – get spiritually connected, it provides strength, energy, and encouragement
- Share – talk about your present state with someone who isn’t going to judge you. Doing that could provide release and lead to answers you won’t have otherwise receive by keeping quiet.
- Challenge self – to do something for a number of days that will add value, empower or stimulate your life.
The good news is, funk doesn’t have to linger around like a bad cold. You can begin the process of being funk free as soon as you become aware of the symptoms, identify the issue and apply a solution that works for you.
To your health and enjoyment!